There’s nearly two and a half weeks left in the NBA regular season. With the race to the playoffs in full effect, teams are currently jousting for position in order to get a better standing.
Everyone seemed to have already locked in the elite teams to go far in the tournament, such as the Chicago Bulls, Miami Heat, OKC Thunder and the L.A. Lakers, but few many people are talking about the San Antonio Spurs regardless of the team’s success this year. The Spurs are in the middle of a 10-game winning streak and presently holds the #1 seed in the Western Conference.
Speaking realistically, if you were to ask an average fan a question regarding who will win the NBA Championship, eight out of ten times, the San Antonio Spurs would not even be considered in the conversation. Unless of course, you’re asking fans in Texas, then it’ll most likely be a different story. In all honesty, no one talks about the Spurs. I hope to change people’s mindset moving forward.
When this year’s NBA 66-game season started back on Christmas Day, the NBA community was barely mentioning the San Antonio Spurs. I would be dishonest myself if I said I wasn’t part of that group at the time. At this moment, the Spurs should not be overlooked by any means.
Here are some reasons why.
• After 53 games played, the San Antonio Spurs are atop the Western Conference with the best record [39-14].
• Throughout 14 weeks of Power Rankings, sports juggernaut ESPN.com had never ranked the Spurs #1. The closest was #2 on various weeks. You better believe that the San Antonio Spurs will be playing with a “chip on their shoulders” come playoff time.
• According to the current standings of teams in the playoffs, the San Antonio Spurs have a record of 18-8 against both conferences. A great statistic that clearly shows the team’s dominance and should be considered very dangerous in the playoffs. See below graphic breakdown for reference.
• The Spurs have a coach in Gregg Popovich, who is the longest tenured coach in the NBA and one of the most respected minds in the sport. Popovich is most likely the most important ingredient in this situation. Great coaching always wins.
• The San Antonio Spurs have tremendous role-playing big men, in Bonner/Blair/Splitter/Diaw. A deep bench is always needed in the playoffs and the Spurs have one this year.
The San Antonio Spurs are legitimate contenders in this year’s NBA Playoffs. This team is quiet, but they’re explosive. Start to include them in your daily NBA discussions. Led by one of the best coaches in NBA history, this fiery San Antonio Spurs ball club is ready to simultaneously shock the league and the entire world.
About Blog Surface
If you’re someone with a sports passion or athletic inclination, then subscribe to Blog Surface and join this ever-growing community of the world’s greatest sports fans!